Giving your kitchen or bathroom countertops a makeover is a big deal. Before you dish out major bucks for a high end stone treatment, we’ve gathered everything you need to know about granite and marble slabs, so you can make the best choice for your family. Check out all the essential facts below, and then get to building the kitchen of your dreams.
- Marble comes mostly in lighter colours, while granite comes in a variety of colours, including red, orange, pink, blue, green, and red.
- Marble features large veining patterns, while granite has multi-coloured speckles and a variety of patterns.
- Marble is considered to have a more elegant appearance, but granite is still a high-end look.
- Marble is derived from a crystallised form of limestone, while granite comes from crystallised magma.
- Marble is highly susceptible to acid erosion (lemon juice, Champagne, etc.) when not properly sealed, while granite is less susceptible.
- Marble is softer; it is not scratch resistant and will scuff up easily.
- Granite is harder and can fend off most scratches and chips, even those from chopping directly on the countertop (although you’ll quickly dull your knives if you do this).
- Putting hot pots and pants directly on a marble surface can cause discolouration, while (and we don’t recommend doing this) it generally won’t cause damage to a granite countertop, which is said to withstand over 450 degrees.
- Both are porous and therefore require sealing, but marble requires twice-yearly sealing while granite can be sealed bi-yearly.
- Stains on marble must be cleaned up ASAP, while on granite quickly cleaning up stains is still a priority but it’s less urgent.
- While there’s a range of pricing for both stone types depending on the specific type of marble or granite, marble skews more expensive
- Both stones are considered high-end counter finishes, but marble is more unique and has a luxury cachet that granite lacks.
- Granite has become extremely prevalent in recent years and is more de rigueur in upscale homes than a special luxury.